Buyers from New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore were active with a total of $5,295,850 traded for 361 horses over the two-day Sale, resulting in a 83% overall clearance rate. Domestic buyers accounted for 72% of the total spend, with the international buying bench contributing the remaining 28%.
Following on from last year’s record-breaking Sale, this year’s edition delivered a variety of highlights including a new Day One top price of $175,000 which came at Lot 217, a son of Holy Roman Emperor (Danehill) offered by Dan Myers and knocked down to the successful bid of Sydney based ex-pat Kiwi Andrew Williams.
Among the most significant is Lot 153, Novara Park’s weanling filly by Jakkalberry out of La Pinnicle. She comes from the same family as Jon Snow (NZ) (Iffraaj), who came of age after a summer of big-race placings with Group 1 Australian Derby and Group 2 Tulloch Stakes victories in the Sydney autumn. Another member of the family is Showemup (NZ) (Showcasing), who won the Listed NZB Airfreight Stakes and placed in the Listed NZB Warstep Stakes to claim the title of NZB Southern Filly of the Year.
Waikato Stud’s champion sire Savabeel swept all before him last season, topping the New Zealand sires’ premiership and completing a clean sweep of all three of the country’s stallion awards. He is on course for a repeat result in 2016-17, leading the New Zealand sires’ premiership by $800,000 and in a similar position in the two other categories – combined Australasian earnings and combined worldwide earnings.
The leading vendor last year was Curraghmore, who sold 11 horses for a total of $766,000 at an average price of $69,636. Their draft included two Tavistock colts who were among the highest-priced weanlings in the Sale, fetching $170,000 and $140,000.
Abundant Pinhooking Opportunities in Weanling, Broodmare & Mixed Bloodstock Sale
Monday, Apr 10, 2017
New Zealand Bloodstock’s National Weanling, Broodmare & Mixed Bloodstock Sale has recently received widespread attention as an early part of the story of dual Group 1 winner Gingernuts (NZ) (Iffraaj). But in addition to its proven record as a source of top-drawer racetrack performers, it also presents a golden opportunity for astute buyers to secure potential sale ring stars of the future.
The last few years of the sale are littered with examples of outstanding pinhooking prowess – relatively low-priced weanling purchases that have returned as yearlings or Ready to Run two-year-olds and gone to a whole new level.
Group Three Win For $5,200 Purchase Our King Sway (NZ)
Saturday, Feb 18, 2017
Our King Sway (NZ) (Shinko King) cost just $5,200 as a weanling at Karaka, and an impressive win in Saturday’s $80,000 Group 3 Platinum Homes Taranaki Cup (1800m) took his career earnings through the $100,000 barrier.
The gelding, trained and part-owned by Glenn Old in Matamata, came from last with a sustained move around the outside of the field. He faced stiff resistance in the straight, but with Anna Jones in the saddle he ground his way to victory by a long neck.