Quality Pedigrees Found in NZB National Online Yearling Sale
13 April 2022
New Zealand Bloodstock’s 2022 National Online Yearling Sale on Gavelhouse Plus serves as a digital postscript to its National Yearling Sales Series.
Throughout the 87-strong catalogue, there are plenty of pedigrees that would not have been out of place during the highly competitive week of selling action at Karaka 2022 last month. Buyers have access to several progeny of stakes-winning mares, mares who have produced black type performers, and mares who are close relatives of top-class racehorses.
- The interesting pedigrees start at the very beginning with Lot 1, who is being offered by Wentwood Grange. The colt is by Ghibellines, a prolific source of winners from his White Robe Lodge base, while dam Tachibana (NZ) (Makfi) is a winning half-sister to the multiple Melbourne black-type winner Bassett (NZ) (Savabeel). Second dam Fledgling (NZ) (Captain Rio) placed at Listed level and is a half-sister to Group One winner Fully Fledged (NZ) (Align).
- Lot 7, a National Defense filly consigned by BNF Slater, is out of Windborne (NZ) (Darci Brahma), who won the Listed Canterbury Belle Stakes (1200m) and Listed Murdoch Newell Stakes (1100m). Windborne’s full-sister Darci’s Dream (NZ) (Darci Brahma) also won the Canterbury Belle Stakes, along with a commendable second in the Group One New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m).
- Cambridge Stud presents Lot 11, a filly by their resident stallion Almanzor out of Dansili mare Aumale, a winner at 2000 metres in France. Hailing from an international family, this filly is related to Group One Irish One Thousand Guineas (1600m) winner Just The Judge (Lawman).
- Lot 12, part of the Phoenix Park draft, is by first-season sire Embellish (NZ) out of Belle Diva (NZ) (High Chaparral). The unraced dam is a half-sister to Group One winner Bramble Rose (NZ) (Shinko King), who has herself produced three stakes performers including multiple Sydney Group One placegetter Tangled (Snitzel). Another of Belle Diva’s sisters is Lady Chaparral (NZ) (High Chaparral), who won at Group Three level and is also a black-type producer. Notably, Lot 41 in this catalogue is out of another half-sister to Bramble Rose and Lady Chaparral.
- Another Embellish yearling, Lot 14, comes from the family of international Group/Grade One winners Crowded House (Rainbow Quest), Ticker Tape (Royal Applause), Brando (Pivotal) and Reckless Abandon (Exchange Rate).
- Lot 16 is an Ocean Park filly out of O’Reilly mare Cardrona (NZ). Offered by Phoenix Park, she is closely related to Perfect Pins (NZ) (Pins), Champion 3YO Sprinter in Malaysia, as well as multiple stakes winner Palace General (NZ) (O’Reilly).
- Lot 20 is a well-related daughter of Embellish and the One Cool Cat mare Cool Diamond (NZ), from Cambridge Stud’s iconic Eight Carat family. Herself a winner on the racetrack, Cool Diamond is the dam of three winners including the stakes-placed Qian Gua (NZ) (Cape Blanco). Second dam Diamond Smile (NZ) (Zabeel) is out of the great Group One winner and Group One producer Diamond Lover (Sticks And Stones), dam of the likes of Don Eduardo (NZ) (Zabeel) and Tristalove (NZ) (Sir Tristram), and half-sister to Octagonal (NZ) (Zabeel), Kaapstad (NZ) (Sir Tristram), Marquise (NZ) (Gold And Ivory) and Mouawad (NZ) (Zabeel).
- Offered by Ed Stapleton Bloodstock, Lot 24 is a filly by Showtime out of a half-sister to the Group One Queensland Derby (2400m) winner Kukeracha (NZ) (Night Of Thunder).
- Inglewood Stud have put forward a War Decree filly out of Darci Brahma mare Enchanted Light (NZ) as Lot 31. Her dam is a half-sister to Group Two Hawke’s Bay Guineas (1400m) and Wellington Guineas (1500m) winner Keyora (NZ) (Bachelor Duke), as well as Group One sire Roc De Cambes (NZ) (Red Ransom).
- Lot 32 is a Cambridge Stud colt by Embellish out of Fazzle (NZ) (Johar), who won eight races headed by the Group Two Auckland Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes (1400m). The super-talented mare also placed in the Group One Waikato Sprint (1400m) and is the dam of a winner and three placegetters from four foals to race.
- Haunui Farm’s Lot 35 is by Reliable Man out of Firostefani (Stratum), a half-sister to the Group One winner Anabandana (Anabaa), who is the dam of Group Two winner Packing Rockstar (Fastnet Rock).
- Hallmark Stud offers Lot 36, a filly by Ocean Park (NZ) out of a half-sister to the dam of Group One winner and sire Flying Artie (Artie Schiller).
- Lot 39, an Almanzor colt out of Montjeu mare Game Duchess, is offered by Cambridge Stud. This colt is a half-brother to Group winners Dark Princess (NZ) (Cape Blanco) and Exquisite Jewel (NZ) (Lucky Unicorn) and is also from the same family as Group One Vinery Stud Stakes winner Hiyaam (NZ) (High Chaparral).
- Lot 43, a Mongolian Khan filly offered by Windsor Park Stud, is a half-sister to the stakes winner Vassilator (NZ) (Zacinto), who ran second behind superstar The Autumn Sun (Redoute’s Choice) in the Group One Caulfield Guineas (1600m).
- Rich Hill Stud’s Lot 45 is a close relative of Group One winners Domino (NZ) (Grosvenor) and her son Hero (NZ) (Deputy Governor).
- Mapperley Stud offers Lot 47, whose unraced dam is a close relative of the Melbourne Cup (3200m) winner Almandin (Monsun).
- Lot 54, offered by Inglewood Stud, is a filly by Time Test out of Macavity (NZ) (Keeper). Herself a placegetter on the track, Macavity is a half-sister to Group One winner Velocitea (NZ) (Volksraad), Listed winner Weaponry (NZ) (Declaration Of War) and Group Two placegetter Maastricht (NZ) (Mastercraftsman), who is best known as the dam of multiple Group One winner Loving Gaby (I Am Invincible).
- Brighthill Farm offers Lot 60, whose dam is a half-sister to Group One winner Perlin (NZ) (Carnegie) and to Midnight Breaker (NZ) (Housebuster), the dam of Karaka Million 2YO (1200m) winner Hardline (NZ) (Showcasing).
- Lot 62 is out of a winning More Than Ready mare whose dam is a half-sister to the exceptional So You Think (NZ) (High Chaparral).
- Milan Park presents Lot 65, by Embellish out of a sister to the Karaka Million placegetter Felton Road (NZ) (Pins), from the family of Group One winners Probabeel (NZ) (Savabeel), Savvy Coup (NZ) (Savabeel) and Never Been Kissed (NZ) (Tivaci).
- Lot 69 brings an intriguing Japanese pedigree, being by Rich Hill Stud shuttler Satono Aladdin out of a mare whose dam is a half-sister to the dam of champion Japanese galloper Gold Dream (Gold Allure).
- Cambridge Stud presents Lot 74, a colt by Charm Spirit out of the winning Redoute’s Choice mare Redoute’s Princess – a blood sister to Group One winner and quality broodmare Samantha Miss (Redoute’s Choice).
- Lot 75, from the final New Zealand crop of Iffraaj, is out of a half-sister to Group One winner Calveen (NZ) (Canny Lad).
- Offered on account of Cambria Park is Lot 76, a filly by Redwood out of Rock On Rye (Catcher in the Rye). She is a full-sister to Group One Captain Cook Stakes (1600m) winner Rock On Wood (NZ).
- Lot 78 is by Embellish out of a half-sister to Group One winners St Reims (NZ) (Zabeel) and Champagne (NZ) (Zabeel).
Bidding will run for a two-day period, commencing on Monday 18 April at 9am (NZT), with the first lot closing on Wednesday 20 April at 6pm (NZT). Buyers must register on Gavelhouse Plus in advance in order to gain bidding approval.
All lots purchased from the National Online Yearling Sale are eligible to be nominated for NZB’s lucrative Karaka Million Series. Just nine short months after they make their virtual sale-ring debut, graduates of the online sale can compete for a share of the $1m Doubletree by Hilton Karaka Million 2YO (1200m), followed by the $1m Karaka Million 3YO Classic (1600m) in their three-year-old season, and then the $100,000 CollinsonForex Karaka Cup (2200m) for the remainder of their careers.
All horses will be inspected by NZB Agents who are available to assist buyers with enquiries and buyers can also contact vendors to arrange their own on farm/private viewings. View the 2022 National Online Yearling Sale parade schedule here.
Vendors have supplied photos and video footage to give prospective buyers the best possible information about each lot on offer. View a full list of vendor contacts here.
View the 87-lot catalogue on Gavelhouse Plus here.