Superior Bloodlines Dominate NZB National Weanling Sale Catalogue
8 June 2022
Whether you are looking for a pinhook with quick upside or a longer-term purchase with potential to develop, the catalogue for New Zealand Bloodstock’s 2022 National Weanling Sale is stacked with terrific types and quality pedigree credentials.
Along with an outstanding cross-section of top-class stallions, this year’s catalogue also features siblings to more than a dozen stakes performers, the progeny of 10 stakes-winning dams, and sons and daughters of almost 50 mares who are siblings to proven black-type performers.
Siblings to Black type stars
- Lot 1004 is a U S Navy Flag filly out of Al Bayan (NZ) (Zabeel). She is a half-sister to five winners including the Group Three Sunline Vase (2100m) heroine Communique (NZ) (Redwood), who also placed in the Group Two Coupland’s Bakeries Mile (1600m).
- Lot 1006, a Ten Sovereigns colt out of five-race winner Bronte Lass (NZ) (Stravinsky), who is also the dam of the Group Three-placed Bronte Beach (NZ) (Reliable Man).
- Lot 1008, a Ten Sovereigns half-sister to the Group One Rosehill Guineas (2000m) placegetter Arrogant (NZ) (Ocean Park).
- Lot 1014 is a U S Navy Flag colt whose half-sister Last Sight (NZ) (Showcasing) has placed at Group Three and Listed level.
- Lot 1019, a filly by leading first-season sire Almanzor out of Sister Celeste (Galileo). That makes this filly a half-sister to the Group One-placed Kelly Renee (NZ) (Vespa).
- Lot 10, a half-sister to Group Two performer Pimlico (NZ) (Proisir). This filly comes from the first crop of Ten Sovereigns.
- Lot 20, a half-brother to Group One New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes (1600m) heroine Nicoletta (NZ) (Savabeel). Dam Celtic Crown (Doneraile Court) also won at black-type level.
- Lot 21, a half-sister to the stakes performer Verbek (NZ) (Turn Me Loose). The dam is a half-sister to Group One performers Distill (NZ) (Volksraad) and Mr Tipsy (NZ) (Montjeu).
- Lot 35 is a half-brother to the Group Two Bill Stutt Stakes (1600m) winner The Holy One (NZ) (Tavistock).
- Lot 38 is a colt by Triple Crown champion and outstanding sire American Pharoah out of Extra Celestial (Danehill Dancer). That makes him a half-brother to the $1m Karaka Million 3YO Classic (1600m) and multiple Group Two winner Scott Base (NZ) (Dalghar).
- Lot 59, a colt whose half-sister Danyelli (Mineshaft) placed at stakes level in New York.
- Lot 81, a half-sister to this season’s Group Two Adelaide Cup (3200m) winner and Group One Sydney Cup (3200m) placegetter Daqiansweet Junior (NZ) (Sweet Orange).
- Lot 92 is a full-brother to Group One Captain Cook Stakes (1600m) winner Rock On Wood (NZ) (Redwood).
- Lot 111 is a half-brother to two Group Three placegetters – Meghan (NZ) (So You Think) and Reevederci (NZ) (Reliable Man).
- Lot 4 is a colt out of Ulfah (Encosta De Lago), who won the Listed Chairman’s Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield during a two-year-old season that also produced a second placing in the Group Two VRC Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m). She later placed in the Group Three Norman Robinson Stakes (2000m) as a spring three-year-old.
- Lot 7, a son of the dual Group One-winning mare Xanadu (NZ) (Elusive City). The winner of six of her 28 starts overall, Xanadu triumphed in the Group One Windsor Park Plate (1600m) and New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes (1600m). She also placed in the Group One Makfi Challenge Stakes (1400m), Telegraph Handicap (1200m), Waikato Sprint (1400m) and Otaki-Maori WFA Classic (1600m). This colt comes from the first crop of Caulfield Guineas winner Super Seth.
- Lot 14 is out of Astounded (Encosta De Lago), who was a black-type winner in Queensland, placed in the prestigious Group Three San Domenico Stakes (1000m) and has already produced five winners from seven foals to race.
- Lot 42 is a filly by exciting freshman sire Too Darn Hot out of Grazia (NZ) (Savabeel), who won at Listed level. Grazia is also a full-sister to Group One winner Shillelagh (NZ) (Savabeel) and Group Two winner Tullamore (NZ) (Savabeel).
- Lot 58, out of the Listed winner and Group One Telegraph (1200m) fourth placegetter Lady Zafira (NZ) (Iffraaj).
- Lot 60 is a daughter of Listed winner Lil Miss Swiss (NZ) (Rip Van Winkle).
- Lot 99 is out of the multiple Group Three winner Secret Allure (NZ) (Zacinto), who also finished fourth in the Group One New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m).
- Lot 102 is a son of the New Zealand Bloodstock Filly of the Year Shikoba (NZ) (Chief Bearhart), who won three Group Two races and was a two-time placegetter at Group One level.
Other notable catalogue highlights include:
- Lot 1001 is a colt by U S Navy Flag out of Tiffany’s Rock (NZ) (Fastnet Rock) – an unraced half-sister to superstar four-time Group One-winning mare Silent Achiever (NZ) (O’Reilly).
- Lot 1005 is by champion sire Savabeel out of the Group Two-winning mare Bohemian Lily (NZ) (O’Reilly). Dam of Group Two performer Lily’s Lady (NZ) (Contributer), Bohemian Lily is a full-sister to Group One winner Shamrocker (NZ) (O’Reilly) and Group One-placed Vernanme (NZ) (O’Reilly), plus half-sister to Group One winner Rock Diva (NZ) (Lucky Unicorn).
- Lot 1010 is a filly out of Cool Tart (NZ) (Zabeel), a three-quarter-sister to Melbourne Cup hero Efficient (NZ) (Zabeel) and half-sister to Group One winner On The Rocks (NZ) (Alamosa).
- Lot 1011 is out of a half-sister to Group One winner Sword Of Osman (NZ) (Savabeel).
- Lot 1012 is out of a half-sister to Group One winner Sarrera (Quest For Fame).
- Lot 3, a filly from the famous Pencarrow Stud family of Group One winner Grand Echezeaux (NZ) (Zabeel) and her Group One-performed sire sons Darci Brahma (NZ) (Danehill) and Burgundy (NZ) (Redoute’s Choice).
- Lot 5, from the first crop of Super Seth and out of a half-sister to three-time Australian Group One winner (The) Bostonian (NZ) (Jimmy Choux).
- Lot 9, whose dam is a half-brother to the Queensland Derby (2400m) winner Shootoff (NZ) (Duelled).
- Lot 28, out of a full-sister to Group One winner Ekstreme (NZ) (Ekraar).
- Lot 31, from the first crop of Australian stallion Exceedance and out of a half-sister to multiple Group winner Teleplay (Written Tycoon). This filly comes from the family of Group One winners Episode (Scenic) and First Seal (Fastnet Rock).
- Lot 37 is a Vadamos filly out of a three-quarter-sister to multiple Group One winner Scarlett Lady (NZ) (Savabeel).
- Lots 41 and 79, whose dams are half-sisters to Flying Ruby (Rubiton) – the stakes-winning dam of Group One winner and sire Flying Artie (Artie Schiller).
- Lot 43, by Time Test out of a three-quarter-sister to the stakes-winning dam of Group One winner Provocative (NZ) (Zabeel).
- Lot 46, whose dam is a full-sister to Group One winner Chenille (NZ) (Pentire). Half-sister Chintz (NZ) (Savabeel) was also a two-time Group winner and Group One placegetter, and is dam of the high-class Not An Option (Not A Single Doubt). This is also the family of current Group One star Mo’unga (NZ) (Savabeel).
- Lot 56 is out of a half-sister to Group One winner Captivate (NZ) (Stravinsky), from an esteemed Soliloquy Lodge family.
- Lot 57 is out of a daughter of high-class racehorse and prolific broodmare Lady Dehere (NZ) (Dehere).
- Lot 66, out of a half-sister to Group One winner Kahma Lass (NZ) (Darci Brahma) and fellow black-type stars Distinctive Darci (NZ) (Darci Brahma), Kuro (NZ) (Denman), Southern Lad (Ocean Park) and Wairau Cove (NZ) (Darci Brahma).
- Lot 93, out of a half-sister to the dam of Melbourne Cup (3200m) hero Americain (Dynaformer).
All weanlings offered through the National Weanling Sale at Karaka are eligible to be nominated for NZB’s lucrative Karaka Million Series. Graduates can compete for a share in the $1m DoubleTree by Hilton Karaka Million 2YO (1200m), followed by the $1m Karaka Million 3YO Classic (1600m) and $110,000 CollinsonForex Karaka Cup (2200m) for the reminder of their careers.
New Zealand Bloodstock’s 2022 National Weanling will take place as a physical sale at Karaka on Friday 17 June.
All weanlings entered in the Sale have been inspected by NZB and New Zealand-based agents at the on-farm parades.
Buyers wishing to physically attend the Sale and stay on-site and New Zealand Bloodstock’s newly established DoubleTree by Hilton Karaka hotel can book their accommodation here.
View the full catalogue online here.